Saturday, August 20, 2011

Goodbye DC Universe, Hello Relaunch

Next month, Justice League #1 comes out and the DC Universe is reborn. I ordered a bundle of all the new #1 and #2 issues from dcbservice.com and can’t wait to get them.

As I watch the DC books come out this month, I’ve gotten a few to see how the titles end. Some of them have ended with retrospectives on the character’s long histories (Batman #713) while others ended as they were rushing off to save another planet (Green Lantern Corps #63) or falling in love (Supergirl #67).

It’s been bittersweet reading some of the last issues, knowing that the next time I see these characters they’ll be reinvigorated by some of the best creators in comics.

It’ll be like the new Star Trek – continuity will be reset and the future and the back stories will be new and unexpected. Things like The Killing Joke will have happened, but Crisis on Infinite Earths or The Death of Superman may not have. It’ll be a universe where Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and hundreds of others may have never died and come back to life.

A lot of people don’t like change – I don’t either. But the thought of rediscovering some of my favorite characters like I did with Marvel’s Ultimate Universe or DC’s All Star line, is exciting. I’ve only read the first few pages of Justice League in the preview issue but I can’t wait to get my hands on the issue next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment