Saturday, October 6, 2012

Quick Reviews



Homecoming #1
Writer: David Wohl
Emilio Laiso - penciler, inker, cover
Michael Turner - artist, cover
[Michael Turner co-created this series]

Hunter is an average teenager who has just had a close encounter. But instead of an alien, Celeste, a teenage girl lands in his backyard – a girl who had been kidnapped/abducted eight years before – but she’s come back sporting powers. While Hunter is trying to help her fit into high school, aliens come for her and Hunter’s friends end up in the crossfire. Fortunately (or unfortunately…it’s too early to tell), Celeste can help heal them.

This title, co-created by the awesome Michael Turner (who also supplied a cover) is written by David Wohl. The story is a bit silly with a girl who doesn’t seem too phased by a faulty memory, having people in her house, or having powers. The story is all a little unbelievable and we don’t get to really like any of the characters in it. The artwork a little cartoony but it suits the story. Maybe this title has an inherent charm that will be easier to see a few issues down the road but for now I’m not coming back for #2.


Hawkeye #1
by Matt Fraction (writer), David Aja (art)

When he’s not fighting Ultron, Thanos, or (lately) the X-Men, he’s hanging out with his neighbors and standing up for them when his landlord triples the rent on them.

I’m not a Hawkeye fan. When he died I didn’t care and when he came back I didn’t care. I like the character but I’ve never been a fan of his stories. If he wasn’t a New Avenger or an Avenger I don’t think it would change the texture of those titles much.

But after this issue I’m rethinking my position on Clint Barton. After a terrific showing in this summer’s Avengers film, I was definitely interested in a fresh take on the character and Matt Fraction delivers. It’s heartwarming to see him bonding with his neighbors and a dog who saves his life and then is hit by a car. And we get to see that he’s just as dangerous with a playing card or a coin as he is with his bow. The artwork is gritty and makes everything look dirty and dangerous. The story does a little bouncing back and forth between right now and the past so it can be a little jarring at times but it’s so worth it. I might be collecting Hawkeye from now on.


Idolized #0-1
David Schwartz writer
Micah J Gunnell artist

Joule is looking for revenge. But first she’ll have to win Superhero Idol to get a spot on the world’s premiere superhero team: The Powered Protectors. Then she’ll have a clear shot at the villain Stasis who is responsible for her parents’ and sister’s deaths.

Idolized #0 does what any great, cheap primer issue is supposed to do – it introduces the concept and the main character and lays in a little look into the future to get us interested. Then #1 shows Joule’s actual tryout and completely fleshes out her backstory and why she wants revenge on Stasis.

While I found the reality show angle pretty boring it had Victoria Secret Supermodel Rachel Clark on the cover and…I’m only human. The story is actually really well told and the story promises that we’ll get to see Joule’s journey for a while before she’ll have her shot at Stasis. The artwork is a perfect companion whether it’s a conversation or a massive superhero battle. I think I’ll be back for a while.


Scarlet Spider #8
Story by Chris Yost
Art by Khoi Pham, Tom Palmer

When the Rangers respond to an incident at Roxxon Tower, Scarlet Spider finds himself dodging them while trying to prove Roxxon is dirty.

I haven’t seen the Rangers probably since West Coast Avengers #8 or since the “Handbook of the Marvel Universe” days so I was excited to see them on the cover. To be fair, I thought their names were The Texas Twisters but it has been decades since I’ve seen them in anything.

I tried Scarlet Spider #1 back when it was released and was less than impressed. But if this issue is any indication, Chris Yost has built this title into something special. This issue was fun to read and the art was excellent. I might have to get #7 to read the first part of this arc and see this arc through.


Avengers vs X-Men: Versus #5
Writer: Matt Fraction, Jason Aaron
Artist: Leinil Francis Yu

While Matt Fraction delivers on the fantastic Hawkeye #1, this story is confusing and doesn’t end in a clear victor. I’m not even sure of the stakes – is one trying to catch the other? I Hawkeye trying to capture Angel or escape from him? And Betsy’s a ninja – I’m sure she could have caught or dodged Hawkeye’s arrow.

On the other hand, Jason Aaron delivers one of the best stories I’ve read in some time. It’s written from both Storm and Black Panther’s points of view. The fight is fierce and heart wrenching and leaves wounds that look pretty permanent. I can’t wait to see what their relationship is like going forward.


Fantastic Four #610
by Jonathan Hickman & Ryan Stegman
AIM has purchased the island nation of Barbuda with the capacity to launch a nuclear strike on the United States. With so much at stake, the president assigns Reed Richards as America’s ambassador to Barbuda so he and the Fantastic Four travel to the island to…negotiate.

Jonathan Hickman is an outside the box thinker. AIM taking over an island might have been a good idea years ago but in the current Marvel Universe, the president would have sent the Avengers and the FF (who were with the president at the beginning of the issue) to stop AIM and arrest as many of them as possible. We just had World War Hulk, a superhero Civil War, a Secret Invasion, and loads of other stuff. And I know that Spider-Man’s spider-sense probably would have warned him about poison in the food in the commissary but he didn’t sense the FF were about to get ambushed. Or maybe there was a constant low buzz of danger but how did he know that didn’t mean his sandwich was poisoned?

The artwork was really good. It’s the first book I’ve picked up with Human Torch in it since he returned so I especially liked seeing him. I’m glad Spidey is still on the team. But I don’t think I’ll be picking up more issues.



No comments:

Post a Comment