Thursday, May 24, 2012

Figure Haul - GI Joe Retaliation, Amazing Spider-Man, and Dark Knight Rises


Yesterday I received bad news. Instead of talking about it, I’ll reprint the email from the GI Joe Club:

G.I. JOE: RETALIATION FILM TO BE RELEASED IN 3D
Hasbro Reaffirms 2012 Guidance that it Expects to Grow Revenues and Earnings Per Share Absent the Impact of Foreign Exchange

PAWTUCKET, R.I., MAY 23, 2012—Hasbro, Inc (NASDAQ:HAS), and Paramount Pictures, announced today that G.I. JOE: RETALIATION will now be released in 3D. The film, originally slated for release in June 2012, is scheduled to be released March 29, 2013.
 “It is increasingly evident that 3D resonates with movie-goers globally and together with Paramount, we made the decision to bring fans an even more immersive entertainment experience,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s President and CEO.

“In 2012, we continue to have several strong motion picture and television entertainment backed properties that are selling well at retail and our entertainment strategy remains strong and on-track,” Goldner said.  “Through our own Hasbro Studios for television and in partnership with several movie studios including Paramount, Universal, Sony and Relativity, we are creating entertainment experiences around many of our highly popular iconic brands.

For the full year 2012, we continue to believe, absent the impact of foreign exchange, we will again grow revenues and earnings per share.” 

As bummed as I was that I wasn’t going to see Bruce Willis and The Rock tear it up on screen together while Snake Eyes and Jinx dissected numerous ninjas, I was just as bummed that I wouldn’t be seeing those awesome figures either.

A few weeks ago I discovered amazon.com had an exclusive early-bird-like pack called the “GI Joe Retaliation Premiere Pack” which has Roadblock (the “Movie Likeness Debut” according to the box), Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander. I ordered it. It was awesome and made me more excited to see the actual figures.
 
 I had finals in Astronomy and Photoshop the following day (which would be today) but instead of running straight home from work and studying, I decided to stop at not one, but two Toys ‘R Us that happen to lie between work and home.

At the first Toys ‘R Us, I spotted Amazing Spider-Man movie figures. There wasn’t any figures in the movie series but I picked up Spidey in his black costume and Venom from the comic series. I also picked up a movie-accurate Batman from the Dark Knight Rises toy line.

 As far as the Amazing Spider-Man figures, the ones I saw and the ones on the back of the card that were already sold out, it looks like all the figures are either comic or concept series. The concept/comic stuff, like ‘Grappling Hook Spider-Man’ and ‘Hydro Attack Spider-Man’ is silly and best left in the Spider-Man figure collection along with such other weirdness as ‘Ninja Spidey’ and ‘Samurai Spidey.’

Spider-Man has a great history of various costumes to draw from. There was even that time Deathlok fixed him up with some gear (Spider-Man#21) and how about the recent Tron-inspired ‘Big Time’ Spidey uniform. And I’m yearning for the FF costume with the paper bag over his head with a ‘Kick Me’ sign on it. Instead of going to the comics for inspiration, Hasbro gives us figures that kids might like but will surely leave collectors out in the cold. Of course I don’t know what future waves might bring so I can only judge this first wave.

The Dark Knight Rises figures were all…stupid. With the rare exception of the small, movie-accurate Batman, the costume variations were as silly as previous Batman lines (and will probably sell as well as them too). The only bright spot I could see among the various figures was the Toys ‘R Us exclusive Batman vs Bane 2 pack. Missing from all the various Batman and Bane figures was any Catwoman figures. The backs of the packaging were no help either as they didn’t show other figures in the lines.

With three new figures in hand, I made my way up the road to another Toys ‘R Us closer to home. There were no Amazing Spider-Man or Dark Knight Rises figures. Instead, I found the first wave of GI Joe Retaliation figures – the figures I thought I’d have to wait until next year for.

The Cobra Trooper and Red Ninja figures were already gone (no doubt it’s someone working on their army builders) but I did get a hold of a black Cobra Commander variant, Roadblock, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Zartan, and a GI Joe Trooper. I also snagged the GI Joe Ninja Dojo with has Night Ops Roadblock, Beachhead, and Kamakura. The figures look great and I can’t wait to find Cobra Troopers so I can try out the parachutes! I’m happy because it looks like delaying the film won’t delay the figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment