Sunday, May 29, 2011

RIP Jeff Conaway and Randy "Macho Man" Savage

I saw Jeff Conaway just a month before he died at Wizard World Anaheim. I’ve seen Grease numerous times and I’m a big fan of Celebrity Rehab and used to watch some Taxi as a kid. I just wasn’t a Jeff Conaway fan. I did feel for him as I do the other patients in Celebrity Rehab – it can be an intense show. Still, it feels weird to have seen the guy a month ago and he’s dead today.

While I wasn’t a Jeff Conaway fan and didn’t have any intention of stopping at his booth to talk to him or get an autograph, I can’t help feeling that I missed a genuine opportunity to meet someone who’s been on a movie and TV shows I’ve enjoyed. The truth is that I can’t afford to get autographs from people I kind of dug in this one role that one time (unless they were an episode of Buffy or Angel).

I accept that Jeff Conaway being taken off of life support is a big loss to those who did love him and his work. I guess I’m mostly affected by having seen him so close to his death.
 
RIP Jeff Conaway 

A week before Jeff Conaway passed, one of my all-time favorite wrestlers died: Randy “Macho Man” Savage.

I was a huge fan of wrestling back when the Macho Man was a regular fixture. I saw him wrestle at the San Diego Sports Arena a few times. I was a kid back then who was told wrestling was fake. I was in that wonderful ‘middle’ state where I knew that was probably true but it still felt real. I can remember the Macho Man going from heel to hero, teaming up with Hulk Hogan to form the Mega-Powers team. I can remember when Macho Man went back to being a heel, turning his back on Hulk Hogan and accidentally hitting Elizabeth, I tore his poster off of my wall. Of course he turned hero again because there's nothing fans and I love than redemption stories.

I didn’t see his WCW work and the last time I saw him do anything was the first Spider-Man film but I was a huge fan and loved seeing him perform. The Macho Man holds a pleasant place in my childhood memories so I’m going to miss him.
 
RIP Randy “Macho Man” Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment